Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

7050 Sphinx

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Michael.M, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Michael.M

Michael.M Well-Known
    Builder

Michael.M published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Michael.M

Michael.M Well-Known
    Builder

Does anyone know the proper amount of tension I should put on the wheels? The eccentric nuts have 6 flat sides and I basically turned each nut 1/6th of a rotation. This made the machine feel fairly solid like the axis wouldn't move if i stood them up vertically. Thanks!

Michael

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Sounds like you have them a bit tight. As a general rule you should be able to grip a wheel and with a small amount of effort be able to have it slide along the track. When released, the gantry should move easily. If the motion is too stiff, that just requires extra effort on the part of the steppers to overcome.

4. Michael.M

Michael.M Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks Rick! I'm completely new to this type of linear guide. Im trying to make this machine as tight as possible. Hey I have another question: The leadscrews I bought have an OD of 7.75mm and my flange bearings are exactly 8mm ID. There's definitely a wobble there. Is this normal?

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Yes that's normal. Some members have used Teflon tape to fill the gap which helps prevent rattling.

6. Michael.M

Michael.M Well-Known
    Builder

Hey Rick what is the proper way to adjust the eccentrics? Is removal of the carriages the only way? I worry that as I create a tighter fit, the wheels will get damaged when entering the cut end of the extrusions.

7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Sorry, but I don't really have an answer for that as I haven't built anything C-beam with internal wheels yet. One suggestion however would simply be filing the sharp edges where the wheels enter the rail to protect them.

8. Anthony Bolgar

Builder

Nice build!

9. Michael.M

Michael.M Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you Anthony! I really appreciate the comment. :)

10. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

Hi Michael, nice looking build. I have found the inside wheels "challenging" :) as well. I basically adjusted the eccentrics all to the same position out of the track - placing the flat with the index line the same direction. Then trying the fit, I'd remove the carriage and make adjustments a flat at a time until I found the best fit. As you discovered, the carriage moves easily when the flats are parallel to the tracks, but adjusting the corners into the edges of the track will cause "problems" as you found. Try to keep all the eccentrics in alignment.

Perhaps somebody else will have a better plan for all of us. I'm starting a build using C beams (my third project with them) but this one will be using the interior wheels a great more.