This is currently a proof-of-concept build for a machine that can route mortise and tenon joinery, and hopefully much more. Because I will eventually need to cut tenons on 8-foot long boards, trying to do this with the more traditional CNC router that I've been building (for a long time) was not going to work.
I put this together over the last two weekends, and there are numerous issues that I will need to work out to consider it finished, but I cut my first test piece today and it performed fairly well. There are no limit switches on this at the moment, and it will rip itself apart if I move any axis too far; I have already done it twice.
I will add more information over the next couple of weeks.
Update #1: 2017/07/15
The concept works, and I'm getting somewhat accurate cuts in test pieces. However, the cuts aren't accurate enough for use. Part of the problem, because this machine does not have a lot of rigidity, is getting everything truly square. Also, because the router sits horizontally, weight is pulling the bit to a slight vertical angle. In order to combat this, I am in the process of trying to turn the vertical C-Beams around so that the moving gantry will be on the backend of the machine.
This effort has uncovered another problem: the counterbores in the C-Beam end mounts are not only NOT flush with the end mount, each one has a slightly different depth. This is causing the two vertical C-Beams to not sit flat, and is making it very difficult for me to get each to be perfectly aligned. I've re-tapped the holes in the C-Beam--thinking that the taps were not deep enough, which was true in a couple of cases. However, holding the end caps in my hand and sitting the screws in the cap shows that it is the counterbores.
Update #2: 2017/07/16
Because of the issue that I was having with the counterbore depth in the C-Beam end mounts, I had to find a way to raise the end mount off of the table surface. I had a piece of 20x40 which I laid flat on the table on the 40mm side. I also created a bottom frame using 3 more pieces of 20x40 (each approximately 500mm in length).
Once the frame was square, I used a 2 hole angle bracket to screw into the 20x40 and the front screws on the end mount (that are supposed to be for the C-Beam shield).
However, because there is no support on the back of the C-Beam, it was not staying true at a 90 degree angle from the surface of my table (the top of my table saw).
I knew I needed to recreate the "table" on the machine to hold material for both the mortise and tenon functions; in other words, to be able to clamp material flat and on its side to the machine. I added supports to the front of this table to push back against the vertical C-Beam to keep them at a true 90 degree angle.
The "table" has a front and a back, so that I can clamp pieces to the front for mortise work; using the back to clamp against. Of course, that makes it more difficult to clamp pieces for tenon work, so that's another problem I will have to solve.
Checking everything again, the machine seems to be square, except the horizontal C-Beam supporting the router, which I need to fix; it is off just a hair from side-to-side.
This is version 1.1 of the machine.
Version 1.1 Testing
Testing the tenon job that I've created works generally well. However, it's oversized by .5mm (X) in length and .25 in width (Y). I can't tell if the gcode I generated out of VCarve pro is faulty, if the Tinyg is off, if Chilipeppr is causing me problems (it always does; I can't wait to find an alternative), or if my config is off somehow.
Using the Acme 8mm lead screw, I've got travel per revolution setup at 8mm; which I don't think is correct. But, changing that setting results in crashing the axes. I've got more work to do to figure out what's going on.
Testing Update - SUCCESS
The table that I built into the machine isn't size correctly for the mortise work. I mis-measured the movement of the spindle, so I had to start taking the table apart to move the frame around. I will have to continue to work on the best setup.
The 8mm per revolution seems to be correct. It's possible that my calipers are seriously inaccurate. I was able to successfully mill both a mortise and tenon; although, I need to work on getting the alignment correct.
A horizontal-router CNC using openbuilds parts geared toward routing out mortise and tenon joinery; or any other end grain work on wood.
- Build License:
- CC - Attribution NonCommercial - Share Alike - CC BY NC SA
Reason for this BuildAfter moving into a new house late last year, I fell behind on building my original CNC (a modified OX). Finally, with the warm weather, I am working on getting my garage built out as a workshop, but I have a need to start using some mortise & tenon joinery on projects.
After finding Mathias Wandel, and enjoying many of his YouTube videos, I saw his Pantorouter machine. Since I had numerous spare parts, from over-ordering Ox parts, I decided to see if I could build a vertical CNC that would perform many of the same types of functions as the Pantorouter.
Qty Part Name Part Link Comments 3 500mm C-Beam Linear Actuator http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-linear-actuator-bun... Link 1 250mm C-Beam Linear Actuator http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-linear-actuator-bun... Link 4 NEMA 23 Stepper Motor http://openbuildspartstore.com/nema-23-stepper-motor/ Link 1 C-Beam Gantry Plate - XLarge http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-gantry-plate-xlarge/ Link 4 Solid V Wheel Kit http://openbuildspartstore.com/solid-v-wheel-kit/ Link