Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

      1. Build Progress:
        • Build in Progress...
      Rate This Build
      5/5,
      1 votes
      20141018_194850.jpg
      Ox Hybrid Modified design. Open rail instead vslot. Eventually I will use this CNC to cut my new Gantry plates and continue its metamorphosis.

      Construction:

      After weeks of research, i decided to venture out on my own and try a new way. I liked the V Wheels, but didn't want to go the V Slot route. So i decided to give the Open rail a try. I cut my Gantry Plates out of MDF as well as the Open Rail Base Track.

      Getting the holes on the Gantry plate Carriage to line up perfectly with the V Rail was a bit of a struggle.



      TIP # 1 : When drilling your own holes in a gantry plate (If not machining your plate) use a drill press, and hand drill tends to wander on you a little and even a few mm can make a difference.

      [​IMG]

      Once the machine is up and running I will be replacing parts with ones cut from this machine. I'm thinking about creating my own Open Rail Version out of a Poly, or Acrylic.

      20141101_153750.jpg

      Wiring Has Begun:

      A small project box (Which looks like it was made for this board) some rubber grommets and fan motor, and we have liftoff. I plan on putting a board under the box running left to right, to accommodate the side motors and the length of the wire, which will be in excess of 48 " (I actually have to add wire, as the nema 23 comes with about 30" of wire)

      tested the board today at least to make sure the power works (It does ;)). I will be adding the power on/off switch, the pause and restart switches, and the 2 remaining motors, then it will be time for the belts.
      changes.jpg


      I attached the Motor to a metal plate to make sure i don't get any slippage. PLANNED CHANGES:

      1. I'm going to add open rail on the opposite side
      2. I will add to more v wheels to the opposite side to take the pressure off the existing v wheels near the motor. It should help distribute the weight better.

      Ok, added more wheels and a vrail on the opposite side to minimize the pressure on the back wheels. Now im off to setting up the board.

      I have movement on the nema 17 motor, connected to the pins, but nothing yet on the bare wire/screw terminal nema 23's. Trying to sort that out. (pics to follow shortly)

      Attached Files:

      TIA likes this.
  • Loading...
  • Build Details

    Build License:
    • CC - Attribution - CC BY
  • About Us

    The OpenBuilds Team is dedicated helping you to Dream it - Build it - Share it! Collaborate on our forums and be sure to visit the Part Store for all your Maker needs.


    Support@OpenBuilds.com

  • Like us on Facebook

  • Support Open Source FairShare Program!

    OpenBuilds FairShare Give Back Program provides resources to Open Source projects, developers and schools around the world. Invest in your future by helping others develop their future.

    Donate to Open Source